What canI expect in court for a FTA warrant?

I got into a car accident in 2003 and was well over the legal limit for alcohol. My BAC was .26. It was a single car accident and the police met me at the hospital because a staff member told them I was intoxicated. My driver’s license was suspended at the time of the wreck. I was never contacted in any way about showing up for court or getting in touch with the court. I was arrested a few weeks ago for 2 outstanding warrants from the accident 3 years ago. Igo to court next month for failure to appear. What can I expect or what can I do to lessen the severity of the punishment? Should I speak with a criminal defense attorney? I’m in Denton, TX.

Asked on July 25, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you had a solo accident, and the police arrived at the hospital, did the police issue a ticket on site?  If you were that intoxicated, you may not remember.  Check your medical records from that night.  Secondly, you absolutely need a criminal defense attorney because a) if you were not properly notified of a warrant, you might be able to fight both the efficacy and legality of your warrant failure to appear and the warrant itself.  Ensure you have all of your facts straight and if you don't have a history of drinking and driving and really no other criminal history, you might have  a good chance fighting both matters since it was three years ago. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.