Payroll Taxes

As a contractor in Washington St. If I do a job in Oregon do I need to pay my L&I and other State payroll taxes in Oregon or just in Washington?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Business Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Contact the Washington State Dept of Labor and Industries to help you sort through your particular situation.  See the following links:


2. (this offers answers to frequently asked questions).

3. You may need to set up separate accounting software to pay those taxes for Oregon resident employees and those for Washington State resident employees.  Try contacting the Washington State Dept of Revenue to see if it has any suggestions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.