If a pharmacy tech divulged what medications I was on, was that a breach of patient confidentiality and a HIPPA law violation?

While waiting on my prescription at a pharmacy, the pharmacy tech blurted out multiple times where my specific medications were, specifically saying what they were and what they were for. There were other patients around and they heard what medicines I was taking. Embarrassing me and humiliating me. I believe the pharmacy tech was fired but that does not help me.

Asked on May 23, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It may not have been a breach of any law, if he was directing the discussion to you (the patient), to a supervisor whom he needed instruction or direction from (or who asked him about the medication he was working on), or to a coworker helping him with his prescription: if the disclosure is to someone he may disclose the medication to, then even if it is overheard inadvertently, that does not necessarily make for a legal violation.
Even if there was a violation, this is, unfortunately, not the sort of breach for which monetary compensation is available.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.