Partial Payment for Owed Wages

There was an error in payroll where I was deducted 50 for a nearly year and after a month I have only seen a portion of it. Am I legally supposed to get the payment in full or can it be in portions?

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

They do owe you the full amount back, but there is no specific timeline for its repayment. If and when you deem that too much time has passed or that they clearly are not repaying the balance, you could sue for the remaining money (e.g in small claims court). In the suit, you'd have to show that amount still owed; the employer could settle the case by paying you the balance or entering into a mutually agreeable payment schedule.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.