partial or non payment of probation payments

Can probation be violated for partial payment or non payment if you have applied for social security and been denied.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, probation can be violated for partial non-payment, if you have been denied on an application for benefits.  Probation isn't about the benefits, it's about you doing what you're ordered to do, and the system doesn't much care about the hard realities sometimes.  It's important to be able to show that you are doing your very best, and to keep everything on the table with your probation officer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.