Ismy contract still valid even though construction took place leaving me without a parking spot?

My parking spot became unavailable when construction took place for 4 months and lessor did not mention construction would be occuring at the time the contract was formed; alternate parking was not provided and I had to use daily parking. In the meantime monthly parking became available elsewhere and I wanted out of the contract (which was for 1 year) he had 4 months to find someone new and he wouldn’t let me out of it.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your written contract is still valid regarding the parking issue depends upon what the agreement states in that it determines the obligations owed to you by the landord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. As such, you need to carefully read the agreement.

However, if you were not able to use the parking spot due to the construction that you write about, then an argument can be made that due to "frustration" of the terms of the agreement where you could not use the parking spot for four (4) months, then your obligations under the agreement should end. You had to get alternative parking during this time period.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.