If my parents both passed away within the last 6 months and did not have a Will, what do we do?

I have 7 living adult siblings. What are our legal options regarding property? We do not want to sell it.

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to consult an estate lawyer near your parents' home to assist.  An estate will be needed to pass title to their property and is definitely needed for real property.  If the 7 siblings cooperate with each other, you should be able to handle this easily.  If they do not cooperate, it will not be easy and it will be expensive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.