Parenting Plan – Vacation

The divorce petition has been issued. Wifes attorney and her created parenting plan. She is requesting 14 consecutive days each summer with the 2 children. She is from another country and wants to go there every year for 14 days. I do not want to be away from the children that long. I agreed to 7 days at a time. We cannot agree and the court will have to decide. Any advise?

Asked on December 2, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

What can happen is that the court can, and quite likely would, find that the proposed plan is reasonable: it lets her share her culture with the children; it makes them more rounded, broader citizens by exposing them to another country; and 2 weeks is not an unreasonable time--any kind of trip or vacation where you have to fly somewhere really takes over a week to make it worthwhile, given the time lost to travel and "jet lag"--so not allowing a two week separation from you would essentially preven the children from overseas travel. 
So yes, you can put this before the court, but the court may well find for her anyway, so you may instead wish to voluntarily work it out--maybe you get 2 weeks at some other time of the year to compensate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.