What happens ifI don’t to divorce papers thatI have been served?

My wife and i are divorcing. She has filed all neccesary paper work and we agree on all the terms. Do I need to file a decree or can I let the process finish itself off? I would prefer not doing anything. If no,t what is the time frame that I have to respond? And what happens if I don’t?

Asked on October 1, 2010 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your question was cut off I think in your writing.  Do you mean that you were served with the divorce papers and you do not want to respond?  Just let the chips fall where they may?  If you are not contesting the divorce then it may be possible for you to file an Affidavit which admits service of the pleadings and/ or a waiver of some sort to let eh matter proceed.  If yo do not answer then you will be seen as "defaulting" and that is not a good thing.  When you say that you agree on all the terms does that mean you filed something as to the distribution of your assets?  I would have an attorney review the paperwork on your behalf just on a consultation basis.  So that you are covered.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.