PA business debt

is credit card debt associated with a business transferred to the spouse if there are no assets in the business and the owner had no estate.the business was insolvent. is the debt anyones responsibility in the state of pennsylvania

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A business has separate legal capacity and exists independantly.  If a business has a debt and the business has no assets, then the business should be dissolved and the creditors notified.  Thus, the debt is not anyone but its owen responsibility.  I prsume that the business was an limited liability company or a corporation.  If the business was a sole proprietorship, then the person liable would be your spouse and the only money that would go to satisfy the debts are the assets in his estate.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is not something that could simply be answered herein.  You see, it depends on the type of business (partnership, sole proprietorship, corporation, s-corporation, llc, llp, etc.).  Did the company have pass through taxation to the owner? Was there a commingling of the assets and liabilities and monies of the corporation to personal accounts?

This will then be a factor to determine if the spouse was involved, should be involved/liable or if only the estate. etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.