Out of state divorce

My wife seeks divorce and lives in South Carolina and I live in Arizona. Do I have to have a lawyer in South Carolina to represent me?

Asked on May 31, 2016 under Family Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An attorney must be admitted to the state bar in the jurisdiction in which they practice. Therefore, yes, you would need to retain an attorney in the state in which the divorce action is being filed. That having been said, there are situations when an at of state attorney can be given the temporary right to practice in another state (i.e. given reciprocity).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.