Out of pocket rental car payment

Should I go to small claims court to get compensated for an out of pocket rental
car?The accident was not my fault and yet, I am out 1700.00 for a rental car.My
insurance has paid 600.00 for the first and only week.

Asked on April 12, 2017 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Since the at-fault party has not responded, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence and seek to recover your rental car expense in small claims court. Your lawsuit is for negligence because the other party was at fault in the accident and that party's negligence is what caused you to incur the rental car expense.
After prevailing in the case, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.
In addition to the rental car expense, upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.