What can we do if our sister wants to be “released” from our father’s Will?

Her share is a house to be sold. She would rather we give her money because she needs it now and not get anything when the home is sold. Can we do this and it be binding in the future?

Asked on December 2, 2013 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that your father has passed and your sister is to get a share of his estate when the home is sold, she and the other beneficiaries can under the laws of all states in this country enter into a written, signed and dated agreement setting forth what she will receive upfront in lieu of what she would receive when the home sells. I suggest that an attorney be consulted to draft such a document. One in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.