If our pet sitter is suing us for $300 for services rendered but we don’t want to pay because she made our dog sick, do we have?

While we were away our dog walker called my father to say my dog was getting sick. My father came over and found our condo a mess. Dog feces all over, open pizza boxes laying around, sleeping bags on the stove. My father said it looked like the walker had been staying there.We had to pay for the vet and cleaning. Dog walker is suing me for $300 in small claims court but I don’t want to pay her. What can I do?

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Simple... countersue for (1) breach of contract in that she did not perform the services as required, (2) for damages that she caused to your home, (present receipts for the damage done and repaired), (3) and maybe for criminal trespass/ invasion of privacy-- since the extent of your authorization was to walk your dog-- not to live in your home, and (4) rent for the days she squatted in your home.  I suspect the damages alone and the vet bill will more than absorb the $300.00 bill she is trying to stick you with.  The most important thing to remember is to make sure you file an answer and a counter-complaint or petition.  If you don't file an answer, then a default judgment could be entered against you and you'll be stuck paying the $300.00.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.