What to do if my employer went through a restructuring and my title changed but my supervisor told me verbally and in writing that my salary would not change but it did?

I am now being told that my salary will be adjusted down based on my new title. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely have recourse. You need to consult your labor department in your state and find out if it covers discriminatory or wage or salary issues like this.  Make sure you keep copies of these correspondences and make sure you include these in your communications.  If you prefer to seek private counsel, make sure you do so quietly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.