If our mechanic had a car accident with our car, why are we sued and who should represent us?

We took our car to a mechanic for 60,000 miles maintenance. When they test drived the car, they caused an accident and they hit a car and caused personal injuries to a third party. Now we are being sued because we are the owner of the vehicle involved in the accident. Our insurance will not represent us becausethe car was in the possession of a garage and they have their own policy. They told us that the insurance of the garage should provide legal representation even if we are not their clients. Who should represent me?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whenever a person files a lawsuit as a result of an auto accident, they always sue the owner of the vehicle.  The mechanics insurance should cover this claim and they should provide you with representation for this lawsuit.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.