What to do if our landlord recently lost our house but we have a lease with him ad now he is refusing to do repairs?

There’s a lot more going on. He never told us he was in a legal battle and we paid rent every month and he is now refusing to fix things. He lied to us. He could have known about this legal stuff long before and kept collecting rent. My mother is disabled and we have 2 children under 18. What legal action can we take?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as you are living there you owe rent to someone.  FS83 indicates how to obtain repairs or seek a reduction in rent. You can pay rent into court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.