What to do if our former landord claims we never paid rent 1 month and is trying to deduct it from our security deposit?

It was in fact paid and we have a bank statement to prove it. Can we sue him for this portion of our deposit back as well as the late fee we were charged and other late fees considering his records are inaccurate? Could we also sue him for making deductions in bad faith and receive punitive damages?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You most likely cannot receive punitive damages--even "bad faith" is generally not enough to do that; rather it requires truly egregious behavior, more than commercial or contractual disputes (and that's what a lease is--a contract) typically provide. However, you can sue to recover the money he improperly took from you and any late fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.