If our family found out that my grandmother had some property, how do we go about getting a deed to it?

There has never been a Will. There has been an affidavit of heirship filed.

Asked on August 30, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there has never been a Will of your grandmother but you have disocvered that she had real property upon her death, you need to see if title was held as a jount tenant or not. If as a joint tenant, then the survivor of the two will need to file an affidavit of surviving joint tenant with a certfied copy of the grandmother's death certificate.

If that is not the case, then a petition to administer her estate needs to be filed in the county court house where she passed. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.