What to do if our CPA did our kast year’s taxes incorrectly and e-filed them without our authorization?

Now they have to be amended and he will not take responsibility. We also already paid him to do this year taxes but he is refusing to give them to us. What do we do?

Asked on March 13, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can file a complaint against your accountant with the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy which will investigate and prosecute the complaint.  The complaint form is available on their website.

You can file a lawsuit for negligence against the CPA for the errors in your taxes.  Your damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would be the costs you incurred as a result of the negligence of the CPA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.