What to do about our HOA and a faulty sewer line?

Our condo complex has a main line sewer access hole in our garage. Recently the hole did not have a cover and raw sewage flooded the garage. We immediately called the HOA who sent a plummer who “snaked the main line” but did not cover the hole or clean the mess. We again contacted the HOA and requested professional cleaning and a cover for the hole. They sent someone who washed down the garage but it was in no way throughouly clean. Then 2 weeks later we returned from our weekend away to discover another flood coming from the sewer hole; we took a video and called the HOA. Should we get the health dept involved or should we consider getting a lawyer aren’t their laws against exposing residents to raw sewage?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your HOA is not adequately addressing the raw sewage situation which seems to be the case from your question, then the best option for you is to contact your local health department and seek an inspection of the source of the raw sewage. This will cost less for you in the long run than hiring an attorney and will most likely get the problem resolved sooner.

I do suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of planned unit developments to assist you further in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.