Do I have any rights if our company is moving and it is going to cost the employees a lot of extra money?

Our company is moving from the suburbs and into the center of a major city about 10 miles away. At our current location, there is a large free parking lot on site. We also do not pay the local cities wage tax because we are just outside the city. Our move is slated early next year. The new location has no free parking available and we are pretty much on our own to either use public transportation or pay about $350 a month for a center city parking lot. In addition, the move puts us in the city limits and we will be charged the city wage tax approximately 3. in addition this is a 24/7 hour facility, so there are shifts that start at and end midnight, 2 am, and all times of the day and night. is there any previous lawsuits similar or class action? Our employer is taking a,

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract or union agreement that provides for additional compensation regarding these increased expenses, you have no recourse here. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a compainy can set the condtions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discriminaton). Therefore, you can either accept these conditions, complain but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.