What are my options for a speeding violation?

I was cited a ticket yesterday at an alleged 98 mph in a 75 mph zone. I was wondering what my options are for defensive driving since on the paper given to me, I may not qualify if I exceeded 95 mph or 25 mph or more above the posted speed limit. This is my first traffic offense and offense in general. Also, is this considered a minor traffic violation? I really want to keep this off my record if possible.

Asked on September 12, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This is not a major speeding offense.  It's not the best... but certainly no major.  Considering that you don't have a history, you should be able to obtain a dismissal in exchange for taking a defensive driving class.  If you cannot broker this on your own, then hire a ticket attorney to assist you.  Ticket attorneys have regular and frequent contact with the municipal court prosecutors and can help you work a deal to keep it off your record much cheaper than a non-ticket attorney.  If you have been given paperwork that you don't understand, then you should not sign it until you have an attorney review it and explain the consequences to you of the plea deal being offered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.