What to do if one of my roommates is refusing to pay their portion of utilities?

Since all of the utilities are in my name, I collect the money from each roommate at the end of the month. However, one roommate refuses to pay. I figured I should file a small claims suit to collect the $120 he owes me. However, I do not have his permanent address (required for the small claims paperwork) and our landlord (apartment complex) will not release it. What should I do? Can I subpoena the apartment complex to release it? Is there an easier way?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In order to get a subpoena to obtain the address, you would need a judge to issue a subpoena.  An easier method would be to have a process server do a skip trace to obtain the current address of your roommate.  You will need your roommate's address to serve your roommate with your Small Claims Court lawsuit.  You can find process servers under attorney services in the Yellow Pages or online.  If you win your Small Claims Court case, you can recover court costs which would include the court filing fee and the process server fee. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.