Once the labor board has completed their investigation and ruled back pay was warranted, can the employer contest the ruling?

Asked on October 10, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the employer may appeal. First, try to appeal internally, through the board's own appeals or review process--depending where you currently are in the process, you may be entitled to ask them to review or reconsider their ruling. If that doesn't work, you can file a court case in county court appealing their ruling--you have the right to appeal agency decisions through the courts. Before doing so, note that this can be expensive--to have a reasonable chance of success, you should hire an attorney--and that the chance of winning is less than 50-50, since the courts tend to defer to the agency decision if it's arguably wrong, but could be right, they will uphold it only if there is clear error do they tend to overrule the agency. Therefore, depending on how much backpay is at stake, it may not be worthwhile going to this length.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.