Once divorced, how does a person get their name off of an auto loan that is in both parties’ names?

My son and his ex-wife are divorced. They never went to court, they just settled out of court. How does my son get his name off of the auto loan that his ex-wife has?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Actually, he probably can't get his name off. He could ask the lender but it has no reason to do so. The fact is that from its perspective, the more people responsible for re-payment the better. This would be true even if your son and ex-daughter-in-law got a court-ordered settlement since the lender would not be a party to the divorce action so it would not be bound by its terms.

He should try and have her re-finance the loan in her name only. If that fails, possibly he can at least get his ex to sign an indemnification agreement stating that in the event she fails to make the payments she is liable to your son for any out-of-pocket expenses on his part. Short of this I'm afraid there really isn't anything else that he can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.