Once a disorderly conduct citation is paid can any other type of punishment be imposed?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Criminal Law


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that comes to mind is that any criminal conviction could potentially be used as to violate an individual if that individual is on probation at that time of the citation and/or conviction.  Whenever an individual is on probation, that individual runs the risk of being violated if he or she is accused or convicted of a new crime.  Of course, the decision whether to violate the individual is often left to the discretion of the probation officer.  Thus, a probation officer whose "client" is accused of a new crime could potentially decide to wait until that new crime is resolved (in order to determine whether there is a favorable or unfavorable resolution) before deciding whether to violate the individual.  Thus, if you are currently on probation, that should factor into your decision to plead to any new crime which you may be accused of.

Regardless, if you are worried that a guilty plea to a disorderly conduct charge may result in other consequences I recommend that you consult with and/or retain a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.