What can I do if I fired an employee 45 days ago and since then he has sent made threats against me and my family?

Finally today the gentleman barricaded himself in his home screaming at the police that he wants to kill me. Currently the gentleman is in a physc ward but could be released over the next 72 hours. I have lost sleep and have not been productive at work since I’m looking over my shoulder. My company has done nothing to make me feel safe and neither have the police. Is there anything that can be done or do I have some sort of a case?

Asked on July 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like the "justice" system might be failing you... but before you give up...

Contact the district attorney's office and see if they will help you obtain a protective order.  This fellow obviously has issues and they should help you with some sort of protection for you or your family.

Unfortunately, not all prosecutors are dutiful when it comes to the protection of the public.  If you happen to encounter one of these types of prosecutors, then you are not without options.  You can hire an attorney to help you seek a restraining order to keep this fellow away from you, your family and your employment. 

Regardless of whether you obtain a protective order or a restraining order, give a copy of it to your employer.  After they are on notice that you have obtained the order, they have a duty to provide you with a safe working environment, especially since the initial reason for the threat was related to your employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.