If I’m on probation for armed robbery and was recently caught with some marijuana, do I need an attorney and how can I avoid jail?

Asked on September 6, 2014 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes you need an attorney. In Maryland, when the court learns of a possible violation of probation the usual course is to hold a hearing.  Revocation of probation and the imposition of a more severe sentence are real possibilities. If you received a suspended sentence or a “split sentence” (imprisonment both imposed and suspended for different periods), the court may also impose any term of imprisonment which it had previously suspended, or some fraction thereof. Discuss the possibilities with your lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.