If I found a piece of chewed gum in my lunch from a local restaurant and now they want the gum to be tested, what should I do?

I filed a complaint and a representative called me the next day. She told me that chewing gum was against store policy and asked me to send her the gum. I declined. The following day a claims adjuster called me and also asked me to send her the so that their lab could test it. I needed to know if I should send them the gum?

Asked on October 13, 2015 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Were you injured or made ill by the gum? If you were not, or have no proof that you were, you have no claim for compensation the law only provides compensation for actual injuries, not for what "could" have happened. So until/unless the gum is tested and shows that it contained some disease or contaminent to which you were exposed and which injured you, or at least causes you to incur medical costs e.g. periodic testing to make sure you're ok, you have nothing--the gum is worthless if not tested. You can test it yourself, which gives you more control but may well cause you to spend money for no reason e.g if the gum is "clean" or you can send to the adjustor and gamble they play straight or honestly with you.  But if you do nothing with it, you may as well simply throw it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.