What to do if on a month-to-month tenancy, the landlord increased my rent without providing 30 days notice?

Tenant for 7 years; last year month-to-month. Rent was increased 4% about 10 months ago to $856, plus I agreed to a short term lease fee of $125. Then 2 months ago, my rent was increased with less than 30 days notice.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The rental increase is only effective after the proper notice is provided; but it is effective after that period. So, for example, if insufficient notice was provided to increase the rent for, say, November 2011, you would not have to pay the increased amount for that month--but it should be effective for December 2011, at which point you'd owe the increase.

Of course, as a practical matter, if your landlord insists on getting the increase a month early, you may choose to pay it rather than fight him or her. If you do that, you may wish to send (some way you can prove delivery; e.g. fed ex or fax) a short, polite, and professional letter indicating that you disagree that the increase was effective in whatever  month, but are choosing to pay it voluntarily, without admitting that it was effective in that month--that could help to preserve your right to challenge the increase later, if the landlord keeps trying to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.