What to do if earlier this year I fell off a rolling chair and broke my wrist?

A month or 2 later I was discharged. Recently, I was contacted by an insurance company. The representative said that the doctor discharged me with 2% impairment. He told me that all he could offer me was $1,200. I accepted not understanding what was going on. He said he would send some papers or me to out for me to sign. Do I have to sign the papers? Will I lose my job if I sign? Can I ask for more of a compensation since I still ache and for how much more am I entitled to?

Asked on October 3, 2013 under Personal Injury, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Please go and speak with a personal injury attorney before you sign anything.  It sounds as if you have a significant injury and how you proceed really depends here.  Were you at work?  Are you entitled to workers compensation?  Can you sue the manufacturer on any legal basis?  Whose insurance company is offering you the money?  That is not clear.  How much you are entitled do depends on a lot of different facts like is it your dominant hand?  What kind of work you do?  Etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.