What to do if I’m the executor of my father’s Will and I’d like to handle the estate through the simplified probate procedure?.

Total assets sum to approx $60,000. I understand all I need to do is file written request with the local probate court asking to use the simplified procedure, is this correct? If so, can I do this myself with a the help of a lawyer? If so, is this a for or a written letter that need to be drafted?

Asked on April 4, 2014 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written considering the small estate of your father, you can file in probate for the simplified probate of his estate. To prevent frustration on your part, I suggest that you consult with a probate attorney in your locality for assistance with the forms and process. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.