What should I do if today I had a police officer and a cps worker come to my house today talking about child abuse allegations?

I guess my 7 year old stepson told his father that I had choked him. What had happened was the child was being discipline and made to stand in the corner, while in the corner he began looking around the room so I put my hand on the back of his neck and re-directed his head back into the corner. From talking with the officer, there where no marks on the child at all. I was told that they were going to give their report to the prosecutor and go from there. Currently the child is not allowed back at my home until the prosecutor figures things out because his father said that he doesn’t want him here.

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should defer answering theirquestions until you have time to speak with an retain a lawyer to assist you.  A child protection case can have long lasting implications that go well beyond the case itself.  You must be represented. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.