What to do about elder abuse?

My mother was adopted by her grandparents. Upon their death her guardianship fell to her aunt who is legally her sister. This individual is in her 80’s and has Alzheimer’s. She’s had it since I was a little kid so for around 20 years give or take. In very recent years a niece of hers has popped up and forced her to give her control of her bank account, drained all her money and had her sign everything over to her. Is there anything that can be done?

Asked on February 22, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, please seek out an elder abuse litigation counsel NOW, and file a report with  Adult Protective Services for your mother of this whole sequence of events and embezzlement of your mother's estate, and file a corresponding report with your district Attorney for a criminal action against the embezzler for taking your mother's funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.