What will happen if I got caught shoplifting $36 worth of merchandise and the girl that was with me stole $76 of stuff but they added it together and took us to jail?

I am scared what will happen to me at court. I am currently in school for medical assistant and working

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I have no idea what the actual result will be for the theft charge that you have been arrested for. However, given the fact that you are in school and are charged with a misdemenaor, a conviction for the crime against you can have major negative implications for your future with respect to jobs if convicted.

As such, you should consult with a criminal defense attormey to see what your legal options are. Possibly you might qualify for "diversion". If so, and you satisfy the conditions of the program the charge against you may be dismissed.

The combination of the $36 and $76 amounts of merchandise stolen mean nothing to the charge against you. In essence you and your partner have been charged as joint venturers in a crime. You both should consult with independent legal counsel about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.