If I’m 22 years old and my girlfriend is 17 and pregnant, is there away for use to get married without parental consent?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Family Law, Virginia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Virginia does have some limited provisions for marriage of persons who are under the age of 18.  The first is if she is an emancipated minor, then she would not need parental consent.  The second is if she has been abandoned by her parents or there is no guardian, then you and her can petition the court for consent to marry because she is pregnant.  The third exception is if she is a ward of the state because of abuse or neglect, then the juvenile department can give consent.  The exceptions are found in the Virginia Annotated Codes 20-49.  This is a link to a copy of this statute:  http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+cod+20-49.  Absent one of the exceptions, you will have to get parental consent in order to marry your girlfriend in Virginia.  Otherwise, you may have to look to a different state where the age of consent/marriage is seventeen years of age or older. 

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The only way for the seventeen year old minor to get married to you without parental consent is for you and her to go to a state that allows marriage sans parental consent of a minor at age seventeen (17). I suggest that you look on the internet for states that allow marriages sans parental consent at age seventeen (17).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.