What will happen if I turn myself in for a misdemeanor warrant?

I had a concealed weapon charged 2 years ago. I wrote a letter to have it continued.I called the next day and was told by the clerk that my case was dismissed so I’vedone nothing since. In the meantime, I have had 2 jobs and both ran background checks on me. In fact, 1 was at a bank and everything came back fine. Now I have applied for another job and it was offered to me but then the offer was taken back; they said I had a concealed weapons charge on my record and a misdemeanor warrant on it. They mailed me my record and yes it is on there. I know I want to turn myself in. What will happen when I do go in and is it worse since it’s 2 years old?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you turn yourself in for a misdemeanor warrant you will be booked into the county jail, have to post bail to be released and if you cannot, you will spend time in jail where you end up making your first appearance on court. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney concerning your matter before you turn yourself in and let the attorney guide you through the legal process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.