If my ex-husband lives in the home we both own, can he lock me out or prevent me from entering the premises?

He will not allow me to get my furnishings.

Asked on July 21, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Joint owners of a home have equal rights to the access and occupancy. This is true even if just one of them actually live there. That having been said, if the terms of your divorce decree gives just your husband the right to live there, then that will control in this matter.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, he may not do this if you both own the home. Any owner has the right to access, use, occupy, etc. a home that she owns or co-owns, and one owner has no right to exclude another owner, even if the first owner lives there and the second does not. You can go to your county court and apply for a legal action for a court order requiring him to let you in; go to the clerk's or customer service order at the courthouse, explain that a co-owner of a house you own (co-own) has locked you, and they can provide instructions and forms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.