Now that my spouse and I are legally married, can we petition yo have his prior divorce agreement changed?

My spouse pays his ex’s house payment, cell phone bill, and utilities every month, plus she gets half of his IPERS retirement every month.This totals roughly $1900. She is disabled. He is a retired police officer but works 50 hours a week to make ends meet and is going to end up disabled himself for all of the work he has to do to afford this. He claims there is some state code that obligates him to do this. He is 61 and she is at least that, bo children involved. Shouldn’t his inability to survive himself have some bearing on this?

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Family Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Wow.  First, YOU have no standing AT ALL to challenge the prior stipulation of settlement  It is a contract between he and his ex wife.  AS for the particulars involving your State law, I would seek help asap from an attorney in your area on the matter. The agreement was a contract that he agreed to enter in to and it is binding unless it can be set aside on other grounds.  But reading it and knowing the law in your area is crucial to that cause.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.