What to do if I have been falsely accused of theft?

I own and operate a small pet sitting business. The only providers of care are me and my husband. We recently took a new client and when they returned from their trip they accused us of stealing a piece of jewelry. They have treatened us with legal action. What do we need to do to protect ourselves? We are insured for liability but have never faced this type of situation before.

Asked on September 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Generally, insurance would not cover any intentional acts such as theft, though it would cover negligent loss.  

A theft offense can be very serious.  While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine.  The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed. 

Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution.  A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain periofd of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.  
We can assist you in making sure that your record is not affected and protecting your business.
For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.