Not married but together for 9 years

I have been with my partner for nine years lived in Illinois, Wisconsin, and
California throughout those years. We are not married by law. I suspect he is
having an affair, do I have any rights to funds if we separate?

Thank you.

Asked on July 3, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The state that you have lived in do not recognize "common law marriage". Therefore, you have not established any legal staus as a copule or rights to any share of your partners assets. Accordingy you are entitled to your own seperate money and you share of money in any joint back accounts or other co-owned real or personal property.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have rights to your own money (including your share of any funds in a joint bank account), your property (anything you bought with your own money), and your share of any real estate or vehicle jointly titled in both your names, but that's it: living with someone does not create an enforceable legal relationship or convey any rights to your partner's assets or funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.