not getting stuck with someone living in my home

I have a family member who is visiting the home that I own. She is maybe looking to relocate to my state. I want to help her out but, I don’t want to get stuck not being able to get her out of my house if she is not doing what she is supposed to do.

Asked on October 5, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you have an agreement regarding her doing certain things around the house in exchange for a being able to live there, then even thuh she does not pay you any money for rent, that agreement can constitute a lease. Accordngly, if she will not vacate the premises if ever asked to, you will need to formally send her a notice to vacate. If she still refuses to remove herself from your hme, then you will need to file an "unlawful detainer" action (i.e. an eviction case). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.