Non payment of wages

Employer has not paid me my first check when due. Other employees have
told me that is his practice and that he also falsifies tips received.
Have also heard that he is late on paying his suppliers too. What
legal recourse fo I have for getting paid?

Asked on April 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a wage complaint with the state department of labor for any wages he has not paid you (including falsified tips) or for chronic late payment of wages; if they cannot help you (though they should be able to), you could sue the employer for any amounts you are owed, such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se"). 
Don't worry about whether he doesn't pay suppliers--that's their issue, not yours, and has nothing to do with your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.