Can we terminate our lease early due to noise issues with our upstairs neighbors?

We moved into an apartment 3 months ago and since then we have had to call the police several times for noise issues with our neighbors. The police agreed that the noise was too much but because he couldn’t hear it for 50 feet from their living room, he couldn’t fine them. Our landlord was notified and promised to talk to them. They have not. The noise has gotten worse. We have talked to the neighbors and they have yet to ease up. We sleep 3-5 hours at most a night and my husband was prescribed sleeping pills so that he could sleep through the noise and still function the next day.

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a "standard lease" then your landlord probably has an obligation to you regarding the noisy neighbors.  Landlords warrant your right to "quiet enjoyment" of property and if that right is disregarded then some one  - or maybe both landlord and neighbor - is in violation of the lease.  But you can not render your landlord in breach or your lease void.  A court must do that.  So seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.