No written power of attorney

Can my mother give me verbal permission to sign her name on documents related
to the sale of her home?

Asked on August 29, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, she may not give you oral (that is the correct term, not "verbal") permission to do this except in the limited case of your mother being physically unable to sign (e.g. arthritis or a nervous disorder, etc.) and, *while she is present*, instructing you to sign for her. Otherwise, the authority to sign documents on your mother's behalf *must* be by a written power of attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.