No kids together do I have to ask for alimony?

The house we live in is in my name . My
kids father is deceased. I don’t want
alimony just a divorce?

Asked on March 4, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can waive your right to alimony if you so choose.  I might hold off saying so out loud to him until negotiations are completed on the rest of the divorce.  As or the house, property that you owned prior to the marriage is considered separate and not up for disotrbution in a divorce.  However, inccreaed equity in a house - when directly attributed to the non-owner - can be subject to distribution in a divorce.  Get some guidance.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.