New Spouse paying for minors medical.

Since I am a third party, as far as Florida is concerned, step mother to childto the court proceedings, the money I spend directly out of my paycheck on medical, dental, and vision insurance on the minor child in the proceeding was not included in any support calculations, and no party was ordered to carry the insurance on the minor child. Do I have a right to any compensation from the mother for a portion of the insurance I pay for her daughter?

Asked on July 11, 2017 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not. As a stepmother, you have no legal obligation to pay for your stepchild's insurance; that is, you cannot be ordered or required to pay for these things but rather, in the law's eyes are doing it voluntarily. (Whether as a practical or ethical matter, given your morals, your relationship with her and with her father, etc. you could refuse to pay is, of course, a different issue--but it's not one the law concerns itself with.) The law does not provide compensation or reimbursement for what people voluntarily choose to do, no matter how good their reasons for doing that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.