New Law?

I heard there is a new law going into affect in July where 1 yr would be equal to 8 months and 13 days for non-violent offenders. Is this true? Ifn you are gauranteed judicial release after 1 yr would this law still benefit you?

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I could find no mention of a new law regarding this.  However, many states have eased sentences for non-violent offenders, especially in light of severe overcrowding.  So there may indeed be a new law to this effect.

You should put a call into the public defenders' office, legal aid, or even a law school to ask.  If you can afford it, contact a criminal defense attorney, they would know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.