New Car hit by Golf Ball While driving on local street

I was driving on a local street and drove pass a golf course and a ball hit my car. Spoke to GM and they found who did it and he admitted. GM gave me hs business card with persons name but wouldn’t give me persons info. have a police report, got vmails from GM saying the person who did was going to contact me with Insurance info, also got message from cop saying GM was going to give me Country clubs info. No was has contacted me so far or taken responsibility. I’ve called GM, left message, sent notarized letter with damage cost(749). Is the country club liable? Is this basis for civil lawst.

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Accident Law, North Carolina


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practicein this area of the law. The  quickest way to get someone to step up to the plate here is to file a lawsuit in small claims court against BOTH the golf club and the guy that hit the car.  You can tell your story to the judge at trial and the judge will probably find one or both of them at fault and you can collect.  It seems that neither wants to pay you and will not do so until they have to.  the small claims process is easy and you will be in front of a judge within 5 months. Plus, you do not need a lawyer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.